Sunday, August 12, 2012

Legacy.

It is hard to imagine the legacy you will leave when you are in it. Without hindsight it is next to impossible to understand the impact you have, how you will be remembered when you move on. The olympics always spark this idea in me. I believe that most athletes go into the games with the hopes of medals, personal bests, experiencing what it means to compete on the world stage. Few, I imagine, come into the games with the legacy in mind that they may leave beyond that. It might be years before Captain Sinclair truly understands the impact that she and other ladies will have on Canadian soccer. Memories of Bolt's epic victories will live on, remembered for games decades from now. Our 4x100 relay team leaves the legacy of sportsmanship, and the spark for the next group of young men to know they can compete with the fastest men on the planet. This is why we watch, not so much for the desire to know who won or lost, but for the stories, the impact, the greatness, the legacy.

It has been a year and half almost to the day that I stepped out of the life I thought would push me through my 20s. I was always aware of the legacy I wanted to leave when lululemon was no longer such a part of my life. When I left last February I thought that I had failed that legacy. That I had not lived up to what I had wanted to do there. Today I sat in the sun with 2 of my peers from my time there, two unbelievably talented and powerful women. They spoke to the legacy I left behind. A legacy that was still alive, still strong. Of young women who were taking on stores, who were still with the company, who were doing great things. This warmed my heart and re-instilled the understanding that everything we do can affect what we leave behind. That even when we think we have moved on, left, that our hard work, our good intentions live on.



No comments:

Post a Comment