Thursday, August 18, 2011

Someway, baby, it's part of me, apart from me.

When it rains it pours. It is always the way. Like attracts like and when there is lots going on in your life more just keeps coming. And like the prairie storms I miss with every fibre of my heart when it comes... oh, it comes a rolling and thundering down the plains or across the Rockies. Big sky country. That is my life these days.

I am particularly good at keeping my shit together when need be. I, like so many of us push down the uncomfortable, ignoring or blocking it out until it is more convenient to deal with or until the pressure is too much and slowly it rears its head. Stuff that didn't seem to affect me six months ago is now coming up. The nature of this time of year is change. It's no wonder, I've turned my life on its head.

I sat with my oldest and dearest friend tonight. Her first wedding anniversary is a few days away and we both sat, in the sun, wine glass in hand, in amazement at what we had been through in 360 some odd days. How different it was now than we could have ever expected a year ago on the shores of Greece. And everything has changed. It's funny that life pulls at you, drags you were ever it wants like an errant dog on a really good walk leading its owner after scent after scent. Looking back to where I stood last August the last place, both physically and otherwise, I would ever have expected to be is here. That says something I believe. As someone with a firm conviction that where you are is where you're meant to be it feels right to be in this place and time. I hope your lives find you in a similar predicament.

I can say with certainty that I learned more than accounting today (the course I am currently working through). I saw a glimpse of where my life might lead me and who and what I fall back on when the chips are down. At the end of the day, and for me it is well past the end of the day now, it might surprise you who is still on your side and who can't muster. Then again.... it may not.

One of my favourite rules of thumb will always be that you are who are for people. Human connection is a gift that i think many of us, my self most definitely included, take for granted. Yet it is really all we have, have to get by, to go forward, to create possibility and to inspire ourselves and those around us.  Connection and big sky.


No comments:

Post a Comment