Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Competency is Sexy.

Change. It is perpetual. It is everything we do. Constant flux. I find this somewhat unnerving still, even after all these years of training myself to go with the flow, to be open to new opportunities, to see change as just another wonderful possibility. In three weeks I have gone from jeans, Toms, and hoodies to heels, dress pants, and when I remember, blazers. I have traded in class schedules and group meetings for databases and client meetings. I have traded lunch on my lap in a breakout room to .... well lunch on my lap outside. To say the first couple days in the life of a corporate intern were exhausting would be an understatement. For my sponge like brain and eagerness to please it was exciting to the point where I wore my self out by about 3pm only to be at my desk until 5:30. Today I felt like I hit my stride a little. The processes and nuances are becoming more clear and intuitive and the intelligence, kindness, and sense of humour of my coworkers continues to exceed my very high expectations. My take away from all this is not that change is good or bad it is simply this: There is a very high likelihood that each time we try, every time we grow, every subtle change makes us better. It is my experience, recent and otherwise, that we do not get worse at things (ok maybe athletics and my ability to not be hungover) but improve and grow as we build on previous moments. Every experience builds competency, and as a dear friend of mine once told me "Competency is sexy".

No comments:

Post a Comment