Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It be worth it just to see it.

Gratitude. It changes everything.

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Well, maybe not the wrong side but definitely the side, pressed against my bedside table, one foot hanging over the edge like a precarious young climber thinking about her first rappel. I have had house guests for the past month. AMAZING women who have come to see new cities and share in some debauchery. I have also been sharing a bed with them and when your bed is a double it means... waking up with a foot hanging over the edge every morning. So anyway, this is scenic route of the story by the way, I woke up with a burnt hand from the night before, aching and a little bruised set of IT bands from a lovely massage, tired and a little frustrated that I had to be a grown up and take my car in to get the power steering fixed on my day off. I really just wanted to hang out with friends and eat sushi at some point. It might be too much to ask for. I was just grumpy and as things kept changing from the plan I had in mind I got even more grumpy (remember I don't like change...). Gratitude changes everything, it's change I can get on board with.

Some earlier actions resulted in me taking the Canada Line home from the dealership. As I looked around there were people of all ages, dressed in all fashions, speaking easily half a dozen languages. There wasn't much interaction between people that didn't know each other but I was flashed a few smiles and kind offers of an empty seat. As I continued to look around, head phones in ears, I was so grateful to live in a city so diverse, once that set in I realized how grateful I was that I didn't have to battle traffic or directions or parking on the way home. I was grateful for how peaceful the train was and how it was a really good temperature and also that when it ended there would be coffee waiting for me a few short steps away.  As my plans shifted again I decided to take action in my slightly less, but still grumpy morning. I would pick up my tiny soy cappuccino and take it for a walk down by the water, people (let's be honest, puppy) watch then make some breakfast. I did just that and as I was sitting watching I saw something that made my day. A handsome man with his son in a baby carrier on his front holding the hand of his curly haired daughter walking on the sea wall. The only snippet of conversation I heard was "I do it so I can create" from the father. This struck me as such an important conversation to have with such young minds. I couldn't help but smile.

Heading home I stopped by Urban Fare. Usually out of my price range today I decided to splurge on a few luxurious ingredients for a perfect breakfast. I am addicted to their hummus. I picked up bright roasted red peppers, salty goat feta and flavourful sun dried tomatoes. I used butter in my omelette, something I almost never do, cranked up the country tunes, and ate it with fresh tomatoes and avocado on the side with a french press full of my favourite coffee. I was surprised at how delicious each bite was (I am not known for my cooking skills. Even breakfast) and grateful that I was lucky enough to be eating this feast for one. Seriously, if you don't believe me come over and I will try to recreate it.

All in all I was inspired by the simple things in life and finding beauty in them. It is our connections to others that make this all worth it. And using butter in our omelettes once in a while.

So now that my day was looking in a distinctly upward direction I popped on this TED talk. It will make you a better person. Promise.

What are you grateful for today?


No comments:

Post a Comment