Sunday, December 25, 2011

Not quite a white Christmas

Christmas and the holidays can be a hectic time. It is easy to get caught up in material things with intentions as pure as gold. We want to provide joy to others, brighten their day, ensure they don't feel left out. For me it is easy to try to be 'fair' to those around me. Not having one gift out shine the others, adding often unnecessary additions just to make up for another 'really awesome' gift I got someone else. This Christmas has been different. Where I used to be able to do all my gift shopping on the night of the 23rd, thanks to Chip for a generous discount at lululemon, this year things looked different. I am a student, with no income and limited at best savings. Where last year my family got hoodies and stretchy pants this year they received black and white printed photos or the gift of second hand fashion.

As we all sat around our slightly bigger than 600 sq foot condo this morning we came to a realization. Christmas was getting smaller each year and as the number of gifts and the square footage of where we celebrated seem to shrink we enjoyed them more and more. In the cramped quarters we were able to spend a lot of time with each other but it also drove us out to explore our city a little bit today. Walking along English Bay and through the West End we say not only a large sleepy owl not more than 10 feet away but also four or five large bald eagles circling above the beach. It was a wonderful and uniquely perfect day.

I am grateful for what has changed in my life since the Christmas before this one. What seemed important, whether for positive or negative, now seems to matter less. All the things I wished for seem to be happening. AND I got to spend my Christmas just the way I wanted. That is quite a gift!



No comments:

Post a Comment