Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tighten Up.

A big sigh of relief happened yesterday. We handed in our final project of the semester. Of the core of our program. Yes, we still have a presentation left but we also have seconds to breathe in, take some time to eat a good meal, not granola bars and White Spot. It is an unbelievable feeling to have submitted the final project on our lengthy list. A list that when we started I wasn't sure if I would ever complete.

I am run down further than I thought possible, probably the lest socially acceptable version of myself out there. I am tired looking, haven't put on make up or dressed for anything other than comfort or practicality in weeks, even practicality sometimes goes by the way side. Physical health and 'me time' have also been at a minimum. My ability to just go 'one more day' is also waning. All this being said and done it feels amazing. Not as amazing as it will feel thursday night when this is all complete, but amazing none the less.

I sat in a room full of MBA students on Sunday night. It was the annual gala celebrating the graduation of the second years. Bob Cole, the voice of Hockey Night in Canada, spoke to us. Now, as a program we are graced with remarkable speaker after remarkable speaker but Mr. Cole, as it only seems appropriate to call him, was a breathe of fresh air. The two points that resonated with me most, beyond his description of the 'Old Forum' in Montreal were these: Do something you love and if you don't know the answer don't say you do or you think, say you don't know and find out.  These lessons were something I think we as business students sometimes need to hear. We get used to thinking about revenue and profit and our eventual compensation. We are conditioned that if we don't know something, do your best to speculate if you are put on the spot. Fake it 'til you make it. Mr. Cole's words struck a cord. Perhaps it was his famous-for-a-reason voice. Perhaps that his stories came at the end of a long day before what would be an even longer one but more likely it is simply that sometimes it is nice to hear someone speak to life lessons. And even more so it is nice to hear about the at business school.

All in all this is a time of uncertainty and i am apathetic towards it. I don't care that I have fallen behind at life, have no idea what I am doing for Christmas break and very little idea of what to expect come january. This semester has built capacity in my life for what can be accomplished. I will take the time to rest, regroup and hope all my fellow classmates do the same.

Good luck Thursday friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment