Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Back to the Grind.

What a few days! Being back at school and back into the thick of things is where I thrive and I feel like my life has gone from lazy days in bed to long hours and busy meetings. That is the great thing about this program, it moves us from full on, to break, and back so quickly, constant evolution and perpetually managing change in our lives.

Tonight we got to celebrate something amazing. As a west coast school, and perhaps as a result not quite as competitive by nature, we have never placed extremely well at the MBA Games. This year, through guts, heart, and a lot of exceptionally good times we placed 3rd. By the time the announcement came on the screen in Edmonton we had all had a few glasses of wine and watched our beloved school miss out on winning each of the individual events. In that instant we were astounded. No one would have ever guessed that we hadn't won the whole thing. In that instant I am confident that we had no idea there was such a thing as first or second place. Tonight, at the top of the Henry Angus building on campus we celebrated this victory and talked about what it meant to us as a school now and going forward. It is amazing and inspiring to think of the legacy we get to build for those following us and for those school that gives us such great opportunities.

Tonight was also a great opportunity to reconnect with classmates. It is funny to think that our class is only 106 people so many of who I am incredibly fond of and yet, with out busy schedules and hectic lives we miss each other in the halls and in classes. I got a chance to talk to one of the other few girls in the program tonight and in just a few moments realized that we have almost identical careers goals and the paths we are interested in pursuing going forward leaving the MBA are incredibly similar. It is remarkable the people that come together in this place and so many of whom are willing and excited to help each other out, with the easy stuff and with the hard. We are all in this together.

This is what excites me. This and that it is ten past ten on a wednesday night and my "work for the evening" has been reading articles on creativity and doing some writing and photography for my fellow students and our program office. Lovely. Doing what I love and loving what I do may sound cheesy but the truth is it is what I get to do every day and I couldn't be happier.

To follow up on my gratitude challenge I recently started following this blog. I ran into this inspiring lady at a networking event and realized I had met her briefly while working for the same company last year. For some reason she keeps showing up in my life and I have to say that I am loving following her writing and inspiring life. Her blog includes a gratitude list and a challenge to come up with a list of 100 things that you are grateful for. Though this undertaking was challenging without a doubt I am glad to say I completed it and I think that it made it very clear what an extraordinary life I am lucky to lead. I would challenge you to do the same. Thinking about what is going well in your life can really help put in perspective what isn't.




No comments:

Post a Comment