Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Something to smile about.

A good friend reminded me the other day that we have so much to be happy about. These are the golden times of our lives and even our most daunting problems, finance exams to write, internships to procure, student loans to pay back, are not really problems in the grand scheme of things.

Introspection and solving life's little problems is something I clearly enjoy but, like my good friend said, sometimes I should really just write about what makes me happy.

It's exam week. A time where people are normally not the best versions of themselves and yet, I find myself incredibly content. As I tend to repeat ad nauseam, I love this program. I always knew that when I finally found what I was supposed to do the work would be enjoyable, the learning inspirational and the people surrounding me, remarkable. That is what I have stumbled across here. I am lucky to have made such exceptional friends in such a short period of time. Truly people who have seen me at my worst, and possibly some of my best, and still want to hang out with me at the end of the day.

Additionally I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. These days feel like spring and it is only the beginning of February, a far cry from sub zero temperatures in Alberta (though I miss sunny days and sharp prairie air). The ocean is a stone's throw and delicious food from around the globe lines the streets. Though being a student has many draw backs one thing that isn't is attending classes at the UBC point grey campus. It is stunning, and strangely secluded from the city and re-invigorates me every time I set foot on it.

I am also happy and grateful that I've made it through another year. Looking back to where I was gives me a warm feeling of accomplishment and authenticity. Just over a year ago I did the thing that at the time scared me most. I stood up to someone, got out of a crapy relationship and finally got back to pursuing what I wanted. No, it was not an ex-boyfriend or even a close friend of plutonic nature. A year and 4 days ago I left a manager who I let make me feel completely insignificant, like a constant failure and who I let press me to live a life nothing like I wanted. I was someone I was not proud of and it showed in every area of my life. I am so happy to say that by breaking ties, by moving onto to what I really wanted to be doing, life is as perfect as I would want it to be. Yes, I could have a little more money, be a little more fit, live in a bigger apartment, in Kits. So my grades could be a little better and I could have a great internship lined up but at the end of the day my life is just so much fun it is hard to worry about all those things. I wake up every morning knowing I live in a beautiful city, surrounded by amazing people, doing something I am passionate about and that I believe will take me where I want to go. What more could a girl ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment