Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sweet Moments

Gratitude and believing in others, and yourself, are key to getting what you want. I have a friend. My Golden Girl to be exact. I look at her life and I see it all falling into place. Her gratitude for everything in her life from her tiny perfect kittens, once homeless and now little lions ruling her tiny white apartment, to her new ventures and the loving people that she calls her friends and family. Her ceaseless understanding that being grateful for what is in her life makes me appreciate mine more.

She pushes a life of greatness with such vigour it is unsurprising that she has so much to be thankful for in her life. We all do. But it is the way she shows it, the way that she makes those around her feel empowered and loved that I find so remarkable. It was her coaching over a year ago that changed it all. She changed the way I look at myself, careers, what I should be pursing, who I am for others, who I am in relationships. She gave me the tools to get my life to where I want it to be. To where it is now. For this I am grateful. Believing in others, something that seems to come so easily to her, is sometimes more challenging for me. As a girl who's fierce independence is bred from black soil, endless sky and a relentless pursuit of wide open spaces I find it challenging to trust, to rely on anyone else. It is instinctual for me to push away before letting myself open up. I have all the excuses in the book. My Golden Girl has taught me that this isn't what life is about. Sure, I am capable of doing it myself but connection is the reason we are here. Falling asleep knowing that someone is looking out for you makes it all a little easier. Makes it all a little nicer. This connection is where gratitude comes from. The little things. The sweet moments. I am grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment