Friday, June 10, 2011

And when the wind does blow across the grain you must follow your heart


Legacy.

There is something about what mark you leave on a place that can what truly defines you. You never really know what you mean until someone else can tell you that they want to be for others what you were for them. In my leadership role in my last job we talked a lot about the legacies we wanted to leave. What did we want to leave for our stores, for our people when we moved on. I had thought a lot about this for a long time. Before I was in the position I left from. I wanted to inspire people, I wanted make them laugh, love their lives, achieve big goals, more importantly I wanted them to pass it on.

I got an email, impossibly early this morning before my first day of a new job. My new beginning. It was from an incredibly inspiring young lady who never ceases to amaze me. She let me know, in her eloquent way, that she had big goals within our company and that when she thought of who she wanted to be as a leader, it was qualities she saw in me that she wanted to portray for her people. Now I was by no means perfect, in many ways I was often a great friend when I could have been a better manager. At the end of the day it was more important to me. It moves me and warms my heart to no end that the legacy I always wanted to leave is living on, even just a little bit.

Best of luck to you friend. You are already that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment