Thursday, June 16, 2011

I Think I Might Be Confused.


I think I might be confused. I thought this was a game. A game I grew up loving. Watching the Habs on T.V. with my dad (often en Français). Watching Flames games at the ‘Dome or with friends in front of any screen we could find. Listening to the scores from across the country while I studied for exams. 

I will never, ever, forget Our Cup run. Watching late at night and early into the morning from my first year dorm common room, often with significant exams the next day. I remember all the big goals. It has never escaped my mind while watching a first series game against Vancouver when it looked like we were in for a win and they scored a goal to tie the game in the last 5 seconds. I carry that moment with me. I will never forget that it isn’t over until it’s really over. There is always a last chance. I remember landing in Calgary, hopping into our giant Suburban with my sister and her friends and sitting out of the sun roof, cruising 17th ave after a win. I remember being 18 and spending most nights down there. Always safe, always fun. My  mum did remind me to keep my shirt on. I guess that’s how Calgarians are different. Instead of riots we like to celebrate spring by letting the 15 degree heat hit our bare flesh. Take it or leave it. That Cup run, even in Game 6 against Tampa, even in game 7 when Lecavalier scored, and we all knew what that meant, I believed. I don’t think I had ever believed in anything that much. I fell in love with a team, with a city, forever in love with cheering for the underdog. Proud that even after we lost that final game that the next day we had more people attend a celebratory rally than attended the victors’.

In this diverse and beautiful country of ours hockey is a unifying force. Winnipeg got the Jets back and look at their city, never more alive, never more together. We love hockey for its simplicity. 5 guys or gals on the ice, get the puck in the net, drink a beer. That’s it. As Canadians it is something that defines us for the rest of the world. It is in our blood like the deep black prairie soil is in the veins of an Albertan. So I am confused Vancouver. I thought this was a Game?

EDIT: This morning, when the smoke and the darkness cleared true Vancouver Fans stepped up. They may not have come in the force of the rioters but they made their presence known. Cleaning up the wreckage. Putting back together the city and their reputations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment