Saturday, September 3, 2011

I grew up in a small town, wheat fields for a downtown kind of place.


Heart Skipped a beat. It all comes back to that. This it what I live for. The racing feeling of the remarkable, of the beautiful, of that which moves and inspires me, even if found in things and places that are seemingly ordinary or unremarkable.

This morning my heart is racing. On a day that is routine in its activities I can’t ignore the persistent pounding in my chest. The simple pleasures of the day, reading ski magazines in the bath, drinking a coffee while studying on a patio in the sun, wearing a skirt to let my legs soak up the sun, great tunes in my ears, this would all be more than enough to make my day but it’s not all. What is making this out to be a day that I will likely never forget is that this morning my first ‘nephew’ was born. I have long been living in a relatively irresponsible and incredibly independent world. I rarely make decisions based on what I believe others expect of me, I have little thought, too little perhaps, for what I need to set myself up for the important milestones in life that I haven’t yet reached. Kids are not on my imminent horizon, unless you count the pup I plan to get in the next year or two. So with that said and done it is even more special that this little young man comes into my life. He is an anomaly. He is the first.  Having followed his mum out here I feel like he has been part of my life for so long already. When my dear friend told me that the little growing creature inside her knew my voice I nearly lost it. This is connection at its finest. This is beyond words. And I am never beyond words.

This also puts the rest of my life in perspective. These are the important things. These are moments that we should stop, embrace and savor. They don’t come as often as many of us would like. So now I see my little weekend, my last kick at the can in terms of free time and summer spread out before me.  Days of sweetness and love and learning. We remember moments.


No comments:

Post a Comment