Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The 2%

I haven't written in a while. If I thought life was full on a week ago it has become even more so in the last few days. The few hours left in a day to sleep are being cut into extensively. I am exhausted but happy in the satisfaction that I am getting the most of this program and my life these days.

Funny enough this aligns with a conversation my golden girl and I were having today. She filled me in on something she calls the 2%. A definition that she uses for friendships that are pure, authentic, invigorating and transparent. The kind of relationships and connections you can count on to click, to hold you accountable, to spark amazing possibilities. In life it is sometimes hard to recognize that not everyone will be in that 2% or get there right away, after all, 98% of the time people won't. And that is the remarkable part. That is what makes that 2% shine.

Thinking about this a little more it became clear what shifted some of the 98% into that 2%. People who may not have been there right away but somehow end up being the people who you connect to, the people who you reach to for coaching. What separates them is being treated like part of the 2%. Golden girl texted me the other day that if you treat people as great they might rise to the occasion. If we treat those same people like maybe, just maybe, they are part of that special few we give the the change to BE there. I am just figuring it out. Just barely starting to allow myself to see people for their potential greatness. Instead of assuming they will leave, not be able to handle something, not notice something else I have taken action and said what I needed to say, what I thought should be said. I am allowing more possibilities for that 2% in. And maybe that is what is making the difference....

No comments:

Post a Comment