Tuesday, November 8, 2011

She'd take Colorado if he'd take her with him


There is a point where your long shots become the only option you are willing to settle on. The go from being wishful thinking to your new standard. They are those things you thought you couldn’t reach but given a shot at it, it’s hard to give up on what you really want. It brings me back to applying to schools. UBC was my long shot. A shot in the dark really. My grades were decent but so were my GMAT scores, neither really made up for the other. I am young, with work experience that was extensive for the few short years I was in the work force but just that, a few years worth. Really any school was a long shot at that point, late applications, late GMAT score, late references. The thing was, the more I found out about schools the more I wanted UBC. The more I realized that was the only option I would be happy taking. The only program that would leave me without “what ifs.” There is something exciting about allowing yourself to want what you really want. It’s more than wanting what others wish for you, more than wanting what you think you deserve or can handle, Its wanting, and expecting nothing less than what your silly, strong, rambunctious heart wants for you.

Talking at length today with a new friend I am hyper aware of this. The decisions that I make and how they line up with what I value, with what I really really want, not just what would fill the missing pieces. Speaking with him, coming from vastly diverse backgrounds we found common ground in what we thought and that we wanted to live our lives big. Missing out on opportunities just wasn’t an option.

I have been toying with the option lately of not getting what I want. I am impatient to a fault and can see clearly that getting what I want right now will take more time than settling for something less. The part of me that acts impulsively, that doesn’t wait for her water bottle to be full all the way because she wants a drink NOW, says just go for it. Go in guns ablaze, don’t worry about getting the best, just worry about getting something. The part of me I have been training knows this is a waiting game, like waiting for that perfect light just before the sun sets or for the right wave in a set. I am learning quickly that getting what I truly want is worth the wait, is worth giving up the others for. 



No comments:

Post a Comment