Saturday, November 5, 2011

Stay here a little while.

It's become a sad truth... I am not going to grow up to be an accountant. As much as I have loved my accounting classes and prof for the last few months, studying this weekend has brought a harsh reality to light, my greatest skills are not in creating or analyzing cash flow statements.

What comes easy, what drags my attention is writing, figuring out, synthesizing how our days and minds work. What wraps us up and what do we long to shed. I think I may be more suited for organizational behaviour, or perhaps marketing. Who knows. In addition to this realization I have got my first cold of the school year. I am grateful it held off for this long, giving me peace to write last minute case memos and study for early morning econ quizzes (yes i did study for a few of them). I am glad I was not fighting this during midnight hockey games we watched, glad I wasn't battling a runny nose while trying to determine what really counted towards business casual. I am not going to lie, I felt sorry for myself for a good half hour or so. Right around dinner time while I was ordering and scarfing down epic thai food. Have you ever tried red curry on pad thai... yup it's pretty much just the greatest thing in existence. But like all those other times I have gone and done something to diminish my ability to do something I like to think about how if I do complete these exams successfully I will know I did it with a shitty cold and that next time, healthy, it will be easier. It is just like doing my yoga teacher training with pulverized triceps and running that 10km race this spring hungover as all hell. I am usually risk adverse like it is my job. This program and a subtle confidence in myself are allowing me to shift this. Yes writing exams sick counts.

So i sit here, in the worlds tiniest room, figuring it all out. Utilization, delay, marketable securities, return on equity and the quick ratio. All the little things that come together to make me realize what I am doing and how far I've come are remarkable things. These will be the first quant exams I will have written, other than the GMAT, since high school... almost 9 years ago. All I can say is that, contrary to popular belief, I am so in it to win it.




1 comment:

  1. I love the new picture and you will win at anything and everything you try when you never give up. Take care and keep up the amazing writings.

    ReplyDelete