Friday, April 29, 2011

Brand New Spaces.

Thank you dear MBF for helping me see the light.

I mourn the loss of leaving Calgary for a number of reasons. The most glaring is that for the first time in my short life I had found a fairly stable community that I loved being part of. I have amazing friendships, a routine - Bingo Tuesdays, Ship Fridays with L, I had haunts and schedules, even in my ultimately unscheduled life. And I loved this. I am deeply adverse to change when it happens. I Love planning for and thinking about change but I actually hate the process. Being outside my comfort zone makes me uncomfortable. shocking...

Here's the deal. I get to replace stability and the joy of routine and familiarity with the adventure of brand new spaces and brand new faces. New runs, days filled with searching for the best flower shops, coffee bars, wine, food and people watching. Change helps us grow. Without it we become stale, uninteresting. And who wants to hang out with boring people? Who wants to fall in love with someone who is anything but extraordinary! I may not even have to get a 'grown up' job to fill my time!

The good news is my cities, the one I come from, deep roots in black soil and rocky mountains, and my new one, busy streets and salty ocean air, are trying to make it all easier on me. My mountain town of a city has been in the throws of a blizzard for 2 days now. My ocean village is seeing the second sunny day in a row. One glaring difference between the people here and there is that Vancouverites just don't appreciate dressing ahead of the season the way Calgarians do. Warm and sunny here I am the only one embracing skirt and flip flop weather!

Ahh, Brand new spaces. 



No comments:

Post a Comment