Saturday, April 2, 2011

Keep my head in them books, I'm sharp

Now that that's finished I can finally get on with my day. There is something so satisfying with a productive Saturday morning and a lazy Saturday afternoon, especially on a snow day and what a snow day it is! (thank you Calgary in April when blizzards are anticipated - no snow tires off till Stampede).

I got to thinking this morning about moving to Vancouver, yes in part due to the foot of snow in my driveway when it has officially been spring for 13 days. Why had I been saying for so long I was going to move and yet it took me until now to set the date, pack my things, and start heading West?

The answer came to me in a blur. This was the email I sent as a result.



Just had a realization and need to study not blog so I am sharing with you.

Part of the reason I was scared to ever move to Van, even though I said I wanted to a thousand times was that I felt I would be an even smaller fish in a bigger sea. In Calgary the areas that I am passionate about are getting more competitive but are not totally established yet. It is still profitable and comparably easy to start a studio, get paid well to teach yoga, take photos, get your art out there, start a cafe... who knows! All in all there is less competition, I think in part because Calgary tends to be so focused on oil and finance not on arts and wellness. Vancouver is a different ball park. New studios have to compete with the YYogas and Sempervivas out there. New instructors with the likes of the wonderful and established Eoin Finn's, the market is saturated with art and food and wine and coffee.

The cool thing is once I realized this I also realized I want to play that big.



Funny how all it takes is a switch in believing in yourself and what you want that can make all the difference. I want to have a chance to fight for the Stanley Cup of life against the best players, the ones that had to beat the other best players to even get there. It doesn't seem so much like failing more just like getting the chance to play with the best.


OH p.s. I heart this video!

No comments:

Post a Comment