Saturday, February 5, 2011

Be Nobody But Yourself.

We all have a vision. Most of us know where we want to be 1, 5 and 10 years from now. One of the most inspiring things I have learned in the past few years is the power of visualizing and writing down short and long term goals. Really digging into what you want and where you see yourself. I never realized how empowering it is to really go after what you want in life until recently.

I have always pictured my life in Vancouver, near the ocean. I have a family with amazing animals running around. I live in a house built way before I was born in a style that can only be described as west coast and I can smell the salt air off the ocean all day, everyday. I wake up next to a man who is quirky, athletic, charming and who is my best friend. I am my own boss, run a successful business that gives back to my community and which provides the flexibility to travel and pursue my photography, writing and yoga related goals.

I haven't been living completely in line with this vision. For one, it's hard to smell the ocean from from the prairies. It's hard to start an amazing successful business with out the education to back it up. Hard, but not impossible. Recently I made a few small changes that are setting me up to be living an authentic life in line with this vision. It is freeing and exciting and scary to be pursuing something so real, something that I so desperately want. I am standing in nothing with only sky and sea and highest mountains in front of me. Everything is possible.

The words of E.E. Cummings have filled my thoughts and writing as of late and I think this quote speaks volumes.

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting.



1 comment: