Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tell the world that I'm coming home.

In the business of athletic apparel we use a lot of sports analogies. When most of your staff comes from an athletic background it's hard not to speak of coaches, team mates, goals, game days. My favourite terminology surrounds the idea of playing big. I remember, when I was in high school and I started coaching younger kids, describing soccer for 4 and 5 year olds. The field is small, there are cones for nets, the kids clump together directly around the ball. The game is small. They get really good really quickly. Every time the field gets bigger, the net wider, the players better you and I have to step up our game. We left those first soccer games and maybe started at the bottom of the pack in the bigger leagues but rising to the top, holding our own in that game comes with huge rewards.

THIS IS LIFE. You can play small and never really get anywhere except stuck with your head down missing everything but that black and white ball or you can play big. We can take the risks, a huge one being not looking good all the time, and sometimes we fall flat on our faces and sometimes, sometimes, we inspire ourselves and those around us and we achieve what we were born to. Playing big is scary. I am playing a game so big right now that I feel like I am in the playoffs, maybe second round, and they just pulled the goalie. Yes, there is a lot at stake, giving up the luxury and comforts that I have known for a while now but already the doors are opening to everything else. I am without floor or ceiling and couldn't be more excited to see what falls into this space that has been created. I am willing to play hard. Go big.

Play. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled upon your blog. Really liked its spirits.

    I loved the energy of this post!

    Play till the last drop. Way to Go!

    ReplyDelete