Sunday, October 2, 2011

Back to the Mat


Really Kerrigan? I thought to myself as I sat on my mat in the warm studio this morning. How did I forget what this feels like? How had I let it go this long?

As a firm believer in timing, more so now then ever before, part of me knew that this was just meant to be. The longer I had waited between trips to my mat the more I feared going to class. What if my postures didn’t look right, what if I couldn’t keep up? It has been too long since coming back to my yoga practice. My reason this morning was one of those instant connections. An amazing girl who tends to show up in my life every once in a while when big things are happening. We finally took advantage of this and hit up a class together. Not surprising it was just what I needed. It usually is. My stiff body worked through the postures, slowly opening up, muscle memory kicking in, supporting limbs, straightening, twisting. My breathing settled, my mind quieted ( a bit…) and I couldn’t help but smile.

My intention for the class was to have expressive feet. Yup, that sounds weird I know. Hear me out. I wanted to focus on something that would keep me grounded during practice, something I know I could accomplish, something that would be FUN. Have you ever looked at feet and toes while they stretch and spread and grip? It is a little hilarious. So all I had to do was focus on my feet for an hour and fifteen minutes. It was perfect. The sense of calm I felt by having happy feet allowed me to press further in other postures, going beyond what I may have had I chose a different intention for the class.

I am also convinced my current state of mind is also contributed to such a great practice. I found less spots that were holding on, less areas of tightness, more space than I had expected. I have less going on my life these days in terms of things that hold me back. My capacity to deal with things and then let them go is increasing dramatically. Who knew an MBA would help my yoga practice?


No comments:

Post a Comment