Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Small Towns and Big Dreams.

Yup, I'm tired.

After yesterday, a day where I tried to pack as much as humanly possible only to go to bed well after midnight, it is a miracle I got through today with the little grace I did. Yesterday was a good day though.

I spent the last hour of it in an arena on campus. I learned a lot about what it means to be on a team. I was taught by a bunch of sweaty boys. Yeah, there are worse things. My dear girl and I went to watch our men play the Canadian sport of hockey. Bundled, we brought coffee and tea to keep us awake and warm and the biggest box of timbits I have ever purchased as a treat for the boys. Win or lose. Now I am not going to lie but I am going to try to put it nicely. Our boys have varied levels of skill on the ice. Though all are bright, nice, handsome young men not all of them can... skate. Athletes for sure, some of them just weren't raised on ice. Others were born to be out there. Truly gifted in their skills and talents. And this is where it all started for me.

I sat in the bleachers trying to read through an HR case but was consistently distracted by what was going on meters from me. The best players on the team spent much of their time and energy passing to the other guys, setting them up, picking up lost shots and passes, creating the opportunities for everyone to compete, to be part of the action. The other guys were improving, getting more effective every minute I watched and every single one of them seemed to be having the time of their lives.

Now, beyond just the treat it is to spend time with boys like them I felt really blessed to get to see them in action. A taste of the leadership they would soon bring to organizations around the world. Egos checked, leaders, teammates.

After the game they boys invited us for a beer in the locker room. It all became a little clearer. We were in it too. We had been asked repeatedly if we had nothing better to be doing on a monday night at 11. Though the options were many I think we just really wanted to be part of it, provide some support where we could. How could we resist?

That is the amazing thing about this program. In a time and place where I thought competition would be everything it couldn't be more opposite. Everyone brings something to the team, everyone takes something away too. That is the beauty of it all. Instant connections.




No comments:

Post a Comment