Wednesday, December 22, 2010

We Pulled Too Many False Alarms.



I spend approximately 40 minutes in a car every day, Tuesday through Sunday. It used to be on foot. It used to be Sunday through Thursday. Either way. This is MY time.

When I used to walk down 17th, rain or shine to my little store I would pop my headphones into my ears and instantly be transported. I always felt, with the traffic-y noises of the world shut out, that I was in a movie and the soundtrack was the emphasis in the scene. It was a time where I was transient for 20 minutes each way. In a separate space where I could think, react to what was coming up for me, really get some perspective while not interfering with anyone or any thing else.

In a car it’s a little different, there is that distracting sexiness of driving that trudging down the street doesn’t have. That and the fact that you have to be paying close attention to the road and your surroundings in a way you might not as a pedestrian. Either way it is my time to explore music. I often fall deeply in love with a song while driving the same route to and from work each day and will play it on repeat until I just can’t take it any longer. Right now it is this. As you can likely discern from a number of blog headings. It is this all consuming beautiful thing that on the grey and often dark streets, as I am usually leaving my house around 6 if I am lucky, I can feel emotions pulsing through me, driving me forward to pursue my day. Not just allow it to happen to me. In this holiday season I am grateful for my commute, regardless of mode of transportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment