Sunday, December 5, 2010

You make me feel like I'm living a teenage dream.

Big goals are scary. Sometimes I like to set goals that to me seem unattainable because part of me seems to be certain I will never achieve them. It seems like an easy way to get out of it, impossibly lofty goals don't really have to be reached. No matter how many people are on the team getting there. Today, well today was different. We got there. We didn't really know it had even happened until it hit us like a transport truck on a slick highway (holy metaphors batman). One minute our freezing feet were heading to my frosty car, post race of course, and suddenly we were jumping up and down laughing almost to the point of joyous tears in the parking lot. It happened. That goal we set out in July happened. The goal that was so big I tried, impossibly hard, to give up countless times. It kept drawing us in like moths to a flame, like deer to a salt lick, like me to the Ship on a friday night. The unbelievable thing was it just kept snowballing. One thing lead to another and I found myself tearing up, while I watched the team we has so lovingly picked and developed doing exactly what we had picked them and developed them to do. I am sure I have no idea what real parents feel like when their children do amazing things like walk their first steps or go on their first dates with handsome young men but today, tonight, I couldn't have been more proud of our team, where we came from and where we are now.
Soberly, I know we have work to do. I know we are not perfect. There will be more slogging, constant diligence to creating greatness but even if it was just for 10 hours or so, we know it is there. We can do it again and again and then this is what will be mediocre and greatness will be something more.

I am in love. I am truly blessed by the people in my life. Today, in its entirety, is the reason it never let me give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment