Sunday, March 6, 2011

Alberta Bound.

Happiness means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. This week has made this brilliantly clear, all the facets of a gem shining with radiance. Friday morning we, the family, got up early to hit the hill. It had snowed the night before and it was a blue bird day. The three of us were giddy. My dad, before 9am had 2 sets of first tracks on 2 of his favourite runs.  His face lit up like a very small child receiving the christmas present he had dreamt of all year long. He was beside himself. My mum was also ecstatic. More important to her than first tracks, more important than a full day on the slopes, she had managed a prime parking spot in the lot. Right. Near. The. Front. It was all she could talk about all day. We were coming down the back side and as she saw the streams of cars coming up the hill she let out a joyful sigh at her spot so close to the lodge, the hard earned efforts of getting us all out of the house at 8.

I wasn't sure what my manifestation of pure happiness was until this morning. Sure I loved my time skiing, finally progressing instead of just playing catch up from years past. I also enjoyed my afternoon runs, catching up with old friends, getting math questions correct after struggling with them. None of these things though lit me up like my parents had been on Friday morning. That was until my mum asked me if I knew what colour coolant my car took... and I did. Now I drive a car that often needs a little extra love but that can take a lot of abuse as well. It is finding that balance. Well the coolant light on the dashboard of my loving station wagon had been on for a few days but I brushed it off. Sometime the floaty in the tank just need to be jiggled (these scientific terms coming from my beloved family Volvo dealership... more or less), so I jiggled and thought I was finished. My mum asked me a day or two later to check the coolant levels as the light was still on. This morning I proudly popped the hood, unscrewed the top and checked the level. Low and behold it wasn't just in need of a jiggle but indeed in need of more coolant. If it wasn't already evident I am NOT inclined to knowledge of vehicle maintenance but knowing the colour of coolant needed to top it up made me feel like a million freaking bucks. Like kind of a smart, sexy, independent woman... whose mum had to tell her to check the levels. It's the same feeling I get when I figured out how to reset the garb-orator and when i discover a solution to something that works out just right. It's the same feeling I get in a pair of heels with my hair done up. It's that feeling when I drop into something really great, skiing or otherwise.

Who knew coolant could be bliss?

- Oh yeah, Alberta Bound tomorrow. Couldn't be happier.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, that really was a fantastic post! I am sitting here smiling.
    I think I know what to get you for your birthday now. Wait, so what colour was the coolant for your car?

    ReplyDelete