Thursday, March 3, 2011

And seconds til now you still loved who I am.

There is magic in connection. It could be an instant friendship, perhaps never much time invested but a re-ocurring light when you meet, again and again. It could be a spark in conversation, like you've known someone longer than the few minutes you have been in a room with them. Like there's more being said than the words bantered across the table. It could be a long standing bond. Something that clicked years ago and just re-clicks time and time again, like getting on a bike in warm winds of spring, like stepping into ski bindings on a fine late November morning. You never lose the feeling.



I remember walking into the lululemon athletica in Banff a little less than 2 years ago. Instantly, when I met her, I knew there was something. A connection. Friends, long lost across time and space. She walked me around the store, told me what a gift it was to work there, under the mountains. A few months later I was there too. Folding hoodies and stretchy pants right along side her. It was only for a short while though. She was off to see the world and I was heading back to the city. Not cut out for Banff's transient lifestyle. For some reason we stayed in vague touch when I let go of so many others.

Low and behold we ended up in the same place at the same time again, easily bumping into each other as you do in a small town. Reconnecting and drawing parallels from our travels and choices. Finding joy in each other's successes. Our chat over coffee could have lasted much longer than it did but truly re-connecting was not in need of more time. I simply sat in the bliss of listening to the wonderful and joyous adventure of her past year, hearing what came up for me, tales of long lost love and of nostalgic summers gone by. What a great way to spend an evening.

One such memory was that of being a camper at a summer camp in BC. I was devastated when a summer would end and I would fear losing the amazing people I had connected with. After many late Augusts of tears and of clinging to any reminders of that time by the water I came to realize something. People who we connect with in our lives for a time, for a reason. If they are meant to be around forever they will keep turning up. They will be around no matter how far we stray from them. If they aren't, then they were simply supposed to be around while they were and no longer. This is the magic of connection. It tends to find us when we aren't looking, simply when we are open to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment