Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm on my feet, I'm on the floor, I'm good to go.

Sometimes life comes full circle without me even noticing. It creeps like the tiny chip in a windshield of a car driven often on rocky mountain highways, slowly forming a crack that is so in your face you can't help but recall how it got there.

Today is St. Patrick's day. Being both of Irish decent and not being one to turn down a chance to drink a few pints it would be obvious that this is MY holiday. Today though comes at the end of a week where perhaps more studying should have happened and so I made the decision to spend time catching up with friends and hitting the books instead. An hour ago, prompted by updates of debauchery and fun on my phone, my computer, from ruckus outside my window I couldn't contain my math filled cabin fever any longer. If I couldn't go out drinking with my friends I was at least going to run off the pent up energy. I laced up  my shoes and hit the sidewalk running. Literally.

As I ran through my streets of my neighbourhood I could see and hear the parties of 17th ave. Suddenly deja vu hit me. This is exactly what I had been doing 1 year ago. Not going out but running. Even more strange was that last year I wasn't a runner. Now, as I tend to introspection anyway when I run, it got me thinking what else had happened in the last year. How much had changed? How much hadn't.

Our years are measured in landmarks. For some it is birthdays, New Year Eves, anniversaries, for me it is the less celebrated and more spontaneous events, the day I said no to law school, break ups, make ups,  other days my world view shifted. It has been a pleasure today to look back and see how far I've come in a year. I've become a writer, a photographer, a runner. I've become someone willing to do the work, to take herself on, to be the person I want to be. A year ago, on that run, I was just barely waking up to those possibilities.  I am not sure what has changed really. Perhaps just a willingness, or a longing to continue forward on this journey instead of sitting back.

In this spirit, I am off again, with camera in hand, to capture some of the amazing Calgary light.


No comments:

Post a Comment