Friday, March 11, 2011

Times they are a changing.

Most days waking up is just the same, rolling out of bed, feet hitting the floor, thinking about coffee. Once in a while, everything is different. Somedays everything changes.

I remember one morning, my mum came into my room and turned on the radio to wake me up like she did everyday. In my groggy state I was sure that the announcers were describing a new movie. That had to be the reason they were so worried about the plane that had just crashed into the world trade centre in New York.  Coming downstairs I saw my mother glued to the TV in our kitchen as a second plane crashed nearby the first.

Another morning we ate breakfast before a day of skiing as we found out that 7 astronauts had been killed when their shuttle exploded. The day didn't end before more tragedy had occurred, losing 7 members of our own close knit community to an avalanche near Roger's Pass.

I found out about the Columbine shooting on another school morning and vividly remember the bus ride that day, planning escape routes from our classes with my classmates.

This morning waking up to the devastation in Japan brought up similar emotions. This simple feeling that while I was sleeping the lives of so many changed in an instant. A thousand thoughts went through my head, knowing that this kind of thing rarely affects just one spot on the globe. Were my friends on the island ok? What about the ones in Aus and NZ? The others vacationing in Hawaii? What about my friends of Japanese decent? Were their families accounted for and well? Were they ok, their bodies in Canada but hearts and hopes and prayers over seas? Then a million others. Environmental impacts, economic ones. How could we help. We must help them.

I have never experienced a tragedy like this while also being so involved in social media. The out pouring of emotion and well wishing is astonishing and heartening in this world where globalization isn't always a good thing. It was and is amazing that such a tool is really key to the connection we need right now.

My heart goes out to friends and family in places of fear or damage, my heart goes to everyone in Japan with hopes of comfort, safety and courage (that is what I would wish for in such a time. I think). Peace and Love in these days. These days where everything can change.

No comments:

Post a Comment