Thursday, May 19, 2011

Come lay with me on the ground

The sun makes all the difference here. Walking home along the bridge yesterday and running on the sea wall this afternoon I passed people in sweaters and light jackets. It wasn't scorching hot but definitely warm and really sunny for the first time since I moved so my skin craved freedom. Shorts and tank tops it had to be. I couldn't help but smile feeling the sea breeze on my collar bones, shoulder blades, on bare legs. As a good Calgarian I have been conditioned to never take a moment of good weather for granted.

Yesterday I was also lucky enough to reconnect with a soul sister. I really don't think there is anyway else to describe her. Our sunny afternoon coffee date turned into coffee downtown, a stroll through Yaletown, a walk along the ocean, a boat trip, lunch and ring and wine and candied salmon shopping on Granville Island. There is something so special about this lady! Maybe it is her penchant for feather earrings and asymmetrical mullety hair cuts or maybe it is because I can rely on her to yell at me when I am being completely ridiculous and then laugh with me every other moment. It was a special way to explore the city. I am grateful.

The sun has also led me to be considerably more productive than I had been in the rain. I transformed a relatively unused part of our tiny apartment into a tiny yoga and studio space. Luckily it is the sunniest part of our place and, surrounded by trees, it feels like you are up in a tree house. Perfect for creating and meditative moments in the hustle and bustle of this city.

Basically life is good, summer needs to stay but with the realization that I could have both my cake (Calgary) and eat it too (Vancouver) life is starting to fill up again.

Sigh. City Love.




No comments:

Post a Comment