Monday, May 2, 2011

So take heed, take heed of the western wind take heed of the stormy weather

Bob Dylan has always played a pretty significant part in my young life. Always a favourite of my dad I fell in love with Dylan when I was travelling asia. His lyrics, voice, harmonica all brought a nostalgia to the surface that I could not resist. With over 40 albums there was a song for every occasion. As I started to dig a little deeper into what could be offered I stumbled upon this, my favourite of his songs. ( the best version I could find..)





There is something lonesome about our transient lives these days. With so many connections to people all across the globe it is easy to be attached to those we leave behind or away and also easy to let the distance grow into silence. This song spoke to this so clearly. Sometimes it pulls too hard at my heart strings and the low feelings sink lower, and yet other times it gives me this great sense of hope. Leaving one connection, letting it stretch thin in exchange for new adventures, new worlds, greater treasures.

The thing about Dylan is that his music has seen me through the best and worst of times. Listening to his lyrics has given me perspective when I had none, made me laugh when that was all I needed. They have helped me fall in love. They have helped me arrive at ski hills safely. Though 2 of the clips I share with you are not actually his voice it is clear that his words continue to evolve in our changing times. Big Love.





And one more for good measure. (yup Bobby D himself.)







 Lyrics for Boots of Spanish Leather here. For Girl of the North Country here. For Times they are a Changing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment