Saturday, May 7, 2011

At this moment from where I sit none of it seems real.

Tonight I miss the sky.

I went to university out East, or central Canada as Easterners call it... well and those from central Canada. Pretty much anyone not from Alberta and BC. It was there that I learned about Mycenaean pottery, boxed wine, and living with 5 other university students. It was also where I learned to appreciate the wonders that Western Canada offers. I grew up falls, winters, springs in Calgary and spent my summers in various small towns on the coast. Growing up my parents would say "look at how beautiful the mountains are! Look at the ocean! Look at the sky!" Though not often at the same time. I never really got it until I came home from  school for Thanksgiving of first year and suddenly I was blown away by them. I couldn't get enough and soon spent too much time away from school and outside, home, west.

There is nothing like the light in Calgary, especially in the evening. There is nothing like the Alberta sky.  Cerulean is the only colour that comes close. Expansive is an understatement. When I am away it is the thing that I miss. That tugs at my heart and draws me home. Tonight I miss the sky.




No comments:

Post a Comment