Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cinnamon Hearts.

There is something to be said for the start of a new day. For me this morning it was coming to my mat to practice my breathing and meditation. I had never really committed to a meditation practice before though, once the commitment ball is rolling it is hard to stop it. For the past few days sitting, in relative stillness, has brought a sense of calm to my day. Even if it is only for ten minutes. Again, it is just this idea of showing up and letting the practice take you where you need it to.

Oddly or not, I have been thinking a lot about the salmon of the pacific lately. In some traditions the salmon represents inner wisdom, a deep seated knowledge of where they came from and where they are going. They just know, without the pressure of popular opinion (in the case of the salmon, the flow of the river) where they are going and they have the perseverance that if they just keep swimming in the right direction taking any bend in the river as an opportunity to learn, they will get where they need to go.

Taking this learning in life I am not surprised that I have finally found commitment in my life. Being committed to my meditation practice, my run training, yoga, and a cleaner way of eating has started to give me the space to take life's learnings as they come and to be like that salmon, heading to where I will be in the future. To the self that I know I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment