Sunday, January 9, 2011

Friend Like You.

"Friendship is an involuntary reflex, it just happens, you can't help it."

(yes, I DO watch too much How I Met Your Mother)

I spent the last couple days really digging into what friendship means to me. My dearest friend and I headed off to the mountains this weekend and it got me thinking. We never seem to be sick of each other, even though we are both incredibly busy we always seem to find a time during the week when neither of us is swamped with work, school, life.

What came up during my skiing/thinking time was this: She always gives me feedback. She is the one person who can truly see what's holding me back and she always lets me know. How she does it is a bit like a down jacket. It is serious if you need the fluffy warmth, I don't just wear down lightly (no pun intended), BUT if things are that serious you know that the down loves you and WILL keep you warm enough to survive a Canadian winter. Basically it always comes from the deepest place of love.

She also saved my life. Repeatedly. Once it took finding mashed potatoes in Chang Mai. Today it looked more like allowing me to go into the lodge every time my face and hands got cold and then when they got really bad, she let me cry in the front seat until my feet thawed.

The really big key to me is that she always lets me be exactly who I am being. That is the expectation. If I am sick, she pets my hair, watches movies with me, brings me soup. If things are going on in my life she is there to be my sounding board. If I am ecstatic, learning, starting something new, she is there to share in the emotions. She allows me to be the same for her.

This is what I need. This is what she needs. It doesn't come along very often but when it does it's involuntary, it just happens, you can't help it.

Love you sista friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment