Friday, January 14, 2011

I Said Throw Me In The Fire, Now Come On

Today I tried to control less.

This, seemingly easy action, was indeed challenging and, not surprisingly, more rewarding that I could have expected. I slept in. This is a rare occurrence in my life as most mornings for me start before 5:30am and this one, I must say was supposed to at 8, started a little after 10.  I spent the early part of my day setting my PVR (as I live alone and it is both my background noise and house mate), eating my lentil curry breakfast and chatting with my mum. The part of my day that I was really excited about started at noon. I was off to get my hair cut. Now this may seem like a simple and rather mundane task to some my stylist is truly an inspiring and amazing woman.  This was when my day started to really take shape.

While discussing what we were going to do 'when we grow up' she began do describe her vision for what she would do. Now once in a while you meet someone who is truly put on this earth to make others live their lives more deeply. My dear stylist is one of those people. There was an instant connection between us and as we bonded over our yoga practice we grew to be fast friends, even though we only saw each other once every few months. Anyway, what she wants to do when she 'grows up' is to create a space for teens in trouble to go where they are not intimidated by the space but  in fact where they can feel like they are going home, getting a holistic approach to wellness. The way she so passionately spoke to her vision brought me almost to tears. In those moments I could easily see, she was on this earth to give others a chance to learn and get better. Leaving her chair I was uplifted, ready to take on more than I had planned to for my day but leaving exactly what that might be to chance.

Next on my list was a trip to the bank. I asked the open teller if she could deposit a GST cheque, thanks Government of Canada, into my sad little account. The teller noticed where I worked and was excited because she had a received a gift from my store celebrating a weight loss. As I asked her more about how she spoke to the walking she did, which was all she could do because of a physical disability, and how she had changed her life style. As I listened to her I was profoundly grateful that my day had included her. I walked away elated, inspired, and grateful for the activities that I could perform.

Further my day brought a dear friend back into my life in a big way. It's not often that I get a chance to hang out with someone who is in such a similar place in life and shares so many key interests. When I got home I came to my mat, who I had abandoned for far to long, I practiced following one of my favourite yogis through postures that were, indeed, exactly what my body was looking for, ending with a meditation that touched base back to appreciating my body for what it could do for me.

All in all for a day that shouldn't have been completely exciting I truly had an inspiring and delightful day. Love. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment