Thursday, January 20, 2011

That’s all my baby needs, to keep her home, keep her home and on time, And that’s All I Need.

There is a lot to be said for appreciating where you are. For contentment. Today I wasn't perfect. I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to at work, I ate coconut milk ice-cream for dinner when I knew I should have had veggies and lentil stew. I wasn't perfect. It also took me a while to get motivated to practice tonight. I got home late from work (which was actually great because I got to spend an extra hour with rad people). I was late from running errands, hastily ate then found myself on the couch with magazines stacked around me like the forts I used to make when I was little, cutting out clippings to create my vision boards. Finally I realized I needed to get up and go. Action needed to precede motivation tonight.

I came to my mat and as I began to flow through the sun salutations I was vividly aware that my upper back had mobility. I had let go of something. There was space. I was excited to jump back into chaturanga for the first time in a long time and as I expressed my gratitude for the ability to practice through my side angle posture Eoin spoke to this idea of contentment. I let out a sigh of relief. We don't practice yoga because it's easy. We don't practice because it's cool, or because it is the path of least resistance. I practice because it gives me all I need. I practice because it is the calm in the storm. I practice because it is my contentment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment