Thursday, October 14, 2010

I get world sick every time I take a step

I find no shortage of inspiration in my life these days. It's abundance is what keeps me creating, moving forward, loving. A dear friend and fellow writer recently created a list of moments that sparked her and I want to create a similar record. Below are the 25 things that I can always count on to make my heart skip a beat.

1) A camera in my hand and any city street, open field, or mountain vista. I feel alive when I capture the subtle and unexpected.

2) This. This woman lives the dream and expresses it in a way that makes me wonder if we were sisters in another lifetime. I'm convinced.

3) Having to drop into a run and the moment at the top when my legs freeze a little and then my skis glide off the edge and the rest of me follows and for a few seconds there is nothing between me and the snow but air.

4) Warrior 2. I have been told repeatedly that it is obvious to people this is my favourite posture.

5) New socks. I am not really certain this should count as a top 25 most inspirational facet of my life but there is nothing like putting on a new pair for the first time. My brother and I, having never spoken of our mutual love both answered the question: What would you buy if you won the lottery? with- New socks of course.

6) Doug Coombs, Shane McConkey, CR Johnson. Men who revolutionized our sport. Made skiing cool (no pun intended), made progression real, worshipped in the church of the mountains. They make all who live to ski another season proud to enjoy snow under base, to challenge ourselves, to push our sport and to love every second out there... and then to have a beer or two in the lodge to reminisce on where we came from.

7) Music. It is hard to describe distinctly what music I like but I do know it is the type that stirs something inside you. You can feel it in your chest, reverberating around in there. It is like this and like this, this or even like this. (Yes... it has become obvious that I am a hopeless romantic.)

8) Lawren Harris. Western Canadian art allows me to see my surroundings in a way that brings back the mystery to our modern world. To Mr. Harris and the other members of the group of 7 I am truly grateful and ever inspired.

9) Making out to Bob Dylan. This should likely have been number 1. I am not sure if this is truly inspirational or simply one of my favourite, and least often indulged in, activities but it sure makes me feel like I belonged in an earlier, politically driven... let's be honest here, hippy time. Plus making out is always inspirational... right?

10) Two Words. Eoin Finn. There is a good chance if he wasn't in my life this blog, my photos, my epic-ly toned triceps, none of it would exist. Yeah he's really brilliant, rocks yoga in blue jeans and has the sense of humour of an 8 year old boy crossed with a 16 year old boy with a pinch of 85 year old yogi guru thrown in but it is his unwavering passion for doing what he knows he is on this earth to do and to help people follow their own paths that makes him such an inspiration to me.

11) I think it is getting pretty evident at this point that I am infatuated with the mountains and the ocean. Being humbled my such power, grace, honesty and limb numbing beauty had brought me to tears and back again. My photos, paintings, every growing need to express myself comes from their power, ever etched into my skin so I carry their strength with me everywhere.

12) To me it is never enough to just take a picture, it is changing its subtleties to suit what I really saw that completes the process. It is my mediation, it is my quick creative fix. It is my love.

13) I am not inspired by running. That is to say I am inspired, though slightly cautious of those who run extreme distances for fun, though they would likely say the same about me and some of my pursuits. What does inspire me about this endeavour is the worthy time that I can spend in our city's version of nature and listening to good tunes. Our rivers, hills and parks allow me a chance to get back to my roots without hopping in a car. Thank goodness for running!

14) Flowing through a yoga practice at home, especially in the sun outside always brings me to a better place. I never get the opportunity to think about what I have to do later, (Do I have to go to the bank before I get an almond milk latte or should I go after?), what daily tasks could fill my hour and a half in a more 'productive' way, (Did I turn the dishwasher on? I wonder how many emails I will have when I get off this mat...). I just think to breathe, stay in the postures exactly the amount of time that feels right and then move on  to the next. Exhale.

15-25 tomorrow... and photos. This inspired girl has to hit the hay!



1 comment:

  1. MAKING OUT TO BOB DYLAN!!!!!

    GUFFAW!!!!!!!
    I'd agree, but I'd play Cat Power (Jukebox) because it makes me feel beautiful and sexy.

    :)

    Thanks for the mention here, sister.
    xx

    ReplyDelete