Tuesday, October 26, 2010

On my block

I have been stressing lately. You probably noticed. Being passionate has its upsides when I am falling madly in love with a job or a boy or a sport or a boy at a job or a sport but being passionate can also get me in big trouble. I throw myself into things head first with out checking for rocks or dead heads where I am to land. I tend to get so wrapped up in these things I am passionate about that I can, especially when it comes to jobs, lose sleep, have camp-mares, ski-hill-reservation-service-mares, nylon-lyrca-mares. Yoga is my salvation. It is my balance. My litmus test of how am I doing today? It is the one thing above all else that centres me.

Tonight was no different. A delicious yin/restorative class in a warm room lead by a young man with a soothing voice. A better end to a Tuesday? I can't think of one. The theme of the class was using stillness as a way to get to know yourself. "If you are wondering why you react or deal with things the way you do" he said, "just sit here for an hour and a lot of answers will arise". I didn't need hours, I needed minutes. Not only did I discover a sensation that eased my tight hip flexors but also an idea which Curran, our instructor, allowed to permeate his class. Horizons of change or transformation. I, like many others I believe, often come to a place in class where the sensation gets to be a distraction, where it would be SO much easier to back out of a posture, rock back into child's pose and wait on the next one to arrive. I get to this place in life too where it is frustrating, I seem as if I am going nowhere, pushing against a stillness that will not move. These, Curran described, were simply a great opportunity to learn about our selves. These are our horizons of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment