Sunday, October 10, 2010

It's in the water, it's where you came from.

I am grateful for the same thing every time my hands, pressed palms together in prayer, or my forehead touch the mat after all the namastes are said. No matter how I started my day, how much my practice made me want to hit things ( I know, not very yogic), how much my teacher helped me find wings to make my postures fly, I am grateful for one thing that encompasses so much of my life. My mat. While not overly attached to it's black rubbery-ness I am always thankful for what it gives me. It is my constant, my rock, when ever I need anything my mat, my practice gives it to me. For that I am daily and eternally thankful.

Next on my list I am thankful for all my friends and family. They put up with SO much. I have a running joke with my parents that I will be moving to Nelson with them to enjoy retirement in my mid-twenties. They initially thought is was funny and endearing, then mildly annoying. Now they fear the worst. A perpetual and eccentric house guest. I am grateful for my 'old' friends who stand by me in every test. They have seen me victorious at flip-cup and celebrated as they rescued me from my own celebrations. They have put coffee in my belly and gas in my car when the dolla dolla bills weren't flowing. My dear friends have let me cry on their shoulders when boys have gone and listened with eagerness false or true when boys arrived in my life. I wouldn't have made it, or had nearly so much adventure and exuberance without them.

These days I am carefully grateful for new friends. I say carefully because I feel our relationships haven't quite solidified and, like the first ice of fall, I don't want to tread to recklessly or firmly for fear of putting a crack in our newly formed friendships. This  morning I woke up to 1 follower. Good news as I was sure I was the only one reading this. I was brought almost to tears that someone, someone who I had only met once, took the 2-5 minutes of their day to check out what was skipping my heartbeats today. Lady, you know who are. Your beautiful words, pictures and smile capture my soul.

So all in all an amazing thanksgiving. My words aren't flowing quite as eloquently this evening as the turkey, red wine and hot bath I enjoyed earlier are lulling me into submission so good night. Hope you are enjoying being thankful for all the things lighting you up this time of year.

1 comment:

  1. Julia! It brightens my day to know I have brightened yours. I love seeing your thoughts sprawled across the page -- er, screen. ;)

    It takes courage to be so open and transparent. You inspire me!

    xoxo Brandy

    ReplyDelete